National Livestock Identification System
The National Livestock Identification System, (NLIS) is Australia’s system for identification and traceability of livestock. It enables cattle, goats and sheep to be traced from property of birth to slaughter for:
- Meat safety
- Product integrity
- Market access
NLIS is endorsed by major feedlot, agent, saleyard and processor bodies. It is also underpinned by State/Territory legislation, which forms the regulatory framework for the system.
Integrity Systems Company (ISC) operates the central NLIS database on which livestock movements must be recorded.
State/Territory authorities can provide information on:
- Property Identification Codes (PICs)
- Ordering NLIS devices imprinted with your PIC
NLIS regulations for goats
For goat producers, NLIS means:
- All managed goats must be identified with an approved NLIS ear tag before leaving their property, whether destined for a saleyard, abattoir, sale over-the-hooks (OTH) or another property with a different PIC.
- All transported goats, not just managed goats, must be accompanied by accurate and fully completed movement documents, generally a LPA NVD/Waybill.
This system is being reinforced through the centralised recording of movement information on the NLIS database. This mob-based movement recording requires the movement of all goats from one property to another with a different PIC to be recorded on the NLIS database.
There are some state based exemptions or additional requirements for dairy goats, show goats and rangeland goats which can be discussed with your state department of primary industries or agriculture.
- NLIS Helpdesk: 1800 654 743
- NLIS Email: email@example.com
State and Territory contacts
- New South Wales Department of Primary Industries (Phone: 1300 720 405)
- Local Land Services, NSW
- Primary Industries and Resources, South Australia (Phone: 1800 654 688)
- Department of Agriculture and Food, Western Australia (Phone: 08 9780 6100)
- Queensland Government, Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (Phone: 13 25 23)
- Victorian Department of Primary Industries (Phone: 1800 678 779)
- Tasmania Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment